Thursday, April 28, 2011

Beaded Gandalf/Dumbledore

High on my success of making beaded piggies, I tried my hand at Spellbound's beaded wizard. This was certainly no little pig and was somewhat more difficult. Attempt number 1 was abandoned as the wire I was using snapped several times and was too short to be fixed. So not to be outdone (especially when I have paid for something :) ) I tried again, with a thicker wire and finally succeeded (despite a bit of unpicking)...

and I'm going to post lots of pictures because it TOOK ME AGES!








Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Igneous Polymer

My first go at creating scraplicious lava inspired beads!



For a first attempt, I'm pretty pleased with the results. I picked up the idea of embedding salt crystals in clay in an advert for Fimo clay in Polymer Cafe. I'll bet these beads look pretty good strung too.

Not bad!







Patriotic Kitties

Couldn't resist posting pics of my 2 babies showing their patriotic spirit in anticipation of the Royal Wedding of 2011.
What a handsome chap.
This is as close to my head as this is going...


We are not amused.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Beaded piggies

Just had to show you these little fellows that I made from beads and wire. 
The design was from the Spellbound Bead kit and I just couldn't resist it. 

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Finding Harry when house hunting

Whilst searching for a new house in the West Mids today, I came across these 2 lovely lads :)




Not really what I expected to find at the local co-op!


Whilst they didn't have time to play any quidditch, we did have a quick butterbeer before Harry & Hagrid had to be on their way to save us muggles from passing death eaters.




Time for me to get the Deathly Hallows part 1 on DVD me thinks :)

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Trying the dichroic look

I found an old Polymer Cafe magazine the other day and thought I would try one of the projects. This tute showed how to create a dichroic look using metal leaf and inks. 


Below is my effort! These would have been made into a pendant and earrings but I'm not overly keen on the result as I made the parts far to chunky.




Clearly I need to use more ink as the colours came out rather washed out. I tried to create a glassy look on the flower using kato liquid clay but for whatever reason, this cracked when it cooked - you can see if you look closely! Maybe I didn't bake the clay on a high enough temperature. I'll have to figure out how I did it as this would be a great way to create a crackle/stained glass look!



Quick tip: don't cook a glossed piece of clay on a tile as it will melt where the two make contact! I tried this for the first time as Studio Sculpey Gloss states that you can bake it. Clearly the tile gets too hot to do it this way. I have yet to discover how to do it right!



I tried the dichroic effect on some beads. Again, I need to use more colour as they look washed out. Also I imagine some of the colour wore off on my hand whilst I worked the leaf into the bead base. 



Monday, April 4, 2011

Look what I found

I found some lovely vintage (ish) photos to day of some of my older clay work. 

Back in 2002 I had the idea to make iccle statues of my friends on their wedding day, so that they could remember their special day (because of course, back then there was no such thing as photography...ahem...).

I had descriptions of the wedding outfits and modelled my work loosely on a tiny game we had which involved rolling marbles towards people shaped skittles (or bowling pins) and trying to spin them around the metal rod they were swinging on. So you get the picture, they were not a true likeness of people! Taking that into consideration, I don't think the finished product looked too bad and the bride and groom seemed suitably impressed.


Unfortunately the groom shaved his beard and tash before the big day - although I suspect he grew it back afterwards to detract from the huge set of man boobs he is probably now convinced he has!! Clearly modelling pecs is not my forte!


 I must have been sending out "thought" inspiration around the clay world as clay wedding cake toppers have really taken off since!

Scrapume Gane

I tried my hand at mokume gane recently but using scraps of clay mixed into solid colours. 



I think the end effect of muted blues and darks is quite pleasant.