So I started this froggy at the play session and finished him at home that evening. I did notice my frost clay (which must be a couple of years old now) had become quite firm, so I gave it a good old condition. I dutifully left the prepared cane a couple of days (oh my that is hard when I just want to reduce him and see how it turned out!) so that all the clay was the same temperature and in theory the same firmness.
When I came back to reduce Frogsy he was really quite firm and I struggled to reduce him, especially considering that I had made him a little too large to begin with. I continued to reduce the cane and as I did so the frost started to crack whilst the other colours reduced. This wasn't a good sign.
I reduced what I could of Frogsy (several bits just broke in 2 as the frost cracked and pulled the rest of the cane with it) but I had mostly scrap cane and only a little bit of a "somewhat" successful reduced cane. This is what I could salvage.
I might have been more upset by the loss of much of Frogsy, if I hadn't had such a good time at the clay session. The scraps have also made a nice leafy green which I can use elsewhere.