Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Polymer Clay Frog Cane

I had high hopes for this little guy when I made him. I used Premo! clay in the cane and normally I wouldn't do this unless I mixed the Premo! with a firmer brand of clay such as Kato. However having seen Too Acquarius's amazing canes, a lot of which are made out Premo! I decided to give it a go. It's also more sociable when attending a clay play session not to be conditioning firmer clay which makes the table shake a lot - not good for others trying to work.  



So I started this froggy at the play session and finished him at home that evening. I did notice my frost clay (which must be a couple of years old now) had become quite firm, so I gave it a good old condition. I dutifully left the prepared cane a couple of days (oh my that is hard when I just want to reduce him and see how it turned out!) so that all the clay was the same temperature and in theory the same firmness.

When I came back to reduce Frogsy he was really quite firm and I struggled to reduce him, especially considering that I had made him a little too large to begin with.  I continued to reduce the cane and as I did so the frost started to crack whilst the other colours reduced. This wasn't a good sign. 

I reduced what I could of Frogsy (several bits just broke in 2 as the frost cracked and pulled the rest of the cane with it) but I had mostly scrap cane and only a little bit of a "somewhat" successful reduced cane. This is what I could salvage.                 


I might have been more upset by the loss of much of Frogsy, if I hadn't had such a good time at the clay session. The scraps have also made a nice leafy green which I can use elsewhere.            


8 comments:

  1. Gosh, what a job. And so terrible with the cracked clay. But the frog looks lovely - it is really hard getting it looking so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) Looking forward to doing my next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, despite the old clay, this looks great!!!! The frog is so well defined! I think you are very skilled, it must've quite difficult to work the clay when it was cracking.

      Erika
      Xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Erika. I prefer the clay a little softer!

      Delete
  3. He does look great, shame about the clay. I know what you mean about the Kato thing. I can't beleive all those people who make gorgeous canes with premo and fimo - they must have some secret trick I think, leaching hands maybe.

    I will try and come to one of the clay sessions with you. Can't make the next one but will keep the future ones in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I find Fimo OK to use in canes. I just find that the canes themselves don't last as long and start to crumble after a while, but Premo! that's a no go on its own in caning for me! I'd love to know the secret. Well hope to see you in Lichfield soon :)

      Delete
  4. I just can't use Premo most of the time because it's too squidgey - much admiration for how you managed to made such a good cane from it...even if some scrappage was involved, the salvanged bits look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I find the new formulation of Premo! is great if yo u have left it for 6 months, then it firms up a bit!.

      Delete

Leave a fab comment here