Friday, 26 August 2011

The Dough Diaries

After my recent attempt at the Play Doh technique, I am all fired up about practicing this until I get really good. 


I am also all fired up about playing with Play Doh! I have loved this stuff since I was young; it is just so squidgy and fun. 


So I recently bought a selection of the different brands of dough, in order to determine which works best when reducing background-less canes. It was also an excuse to buy lots of pretty colours and have a good squidge (I blame my need to squidge on the fact that I never received the barber shop play doh kit despite it being on my Christmas list for several years).




I made 5 simple flower canes out of Fimo soft, packed them with dough and scrap clay, reduced them and washed off the dough.




So far, I would say the following about each brand:

  • Hobbycraft Soft Dough: It didn't hold up as well as the other brands. I lost a fair amount of clay at the ends of the cane. This pot of dough was slightly older and thus firmer and I wondered if this might help when reducing: it didn't. It didn't dissolve that well in the water either and meant lots of handling of the cane to brush off the excess dough. The cane that was useable after reducing, was however one of the neater ones. 
Hobbycraft Soft Dough used.


  • Crayola Dough: I purchased a fresh pot of dough but the dough was quite dry. I don't know if all crayola dough is this dry or if I just got a pot that had sat on the shelf for a while. I found the dough was stubborn when it came to dissolving it and that meant a lot of handling of the cane to brush the extra off. When the clay is wet it's very soft and subject to finger distortion so a lot of handling is not recommended. The cane itself also distorted a lot when I reduced it using this brand of dough. The dough was more expensive than the other brands. 
Crayola Dough used.

  • Early Learning Centre's Soft Stuff: This seems to work well when reducing the cane and reduced at a similar speed to the cane. The dough came off fairly easily in water but did need a bit of rinsing after brushing the excess dough off. The end cane was pretty decent, especially in the middle. The dough is well priced and definitely worth another go.
Early Learning Centre Soft Stuff used.

  • Star Dough: This seemed to work well and came off fairly easily in the water. However looking at the end cane, there is a fair bit of distortion.
Star Dough used.

  • Play Doh. The original brand! This worked well when reducing the cane and came off very easily in the water with only minimal handling of the cane required. The pot of dough was older and had been handled a fair bit before use (hey remember that Barber Shop story?) but was still in good condition. The end cane was a bit squished in the middle but there was noticably less scrap cane. 
Play Doh used. 

A couple of the pots of dough were older so I'd like to try comparing brands again when they are nice and fresh. Fimo soft probably isn't the best brand of clay to use for this technique as it becomes very soft when placed in water and it's easy to damage the cane when handling. The clay was noticeably different in firmness depending on the colour and that affected my results.

Conclusion: I need to practice more. 



1 comment:

  1. Looks like you've been having fun! I haven't played that much with the play dough technique as I didn't like the cleaning up bit. Be interested to see how you get on with it over time.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a fab comment here